Oriental Rugs & Area Rugs Cleaning in Olympia, WA
Oriental and area rugs are more popular than ever as more homeowners install hard surfaces but want to retain the elegance and warmth of carpet and rugs. Cleaning rugs on-site is rare and risky for a number of reasons, as well as very unprofessional. We can explain why in detail when you call. We pick up and deliver! Our professional and courteous technicians do all the work— so all you have to pick up is the phone.
Do you know what questions to ask? You have essentially five choices to clean your area rug.
- You can bring it to your favorite dry cleaner and they will mark-up and sublet the work to someone else.
- You can have an untrained, uncertified average carpet cleaning technician clean it for you. This usually is a quick vacuum and steam cleaning either done in place or taken away and brought back.
- You can have it cleaned at a factory style, assembly line plant. They usually do good work but price on volume with a percentage of call backs factored into the price and you probably are encouraged to pick-up and deliver (and there are none of these in Olympia). We do everything they do but by hand, carefully.
- You can attempt to clean it yourself accepting much risk simply because you do not have the proper tools, knowledge and training necessary to achieve the level of cleanliness you expect. An alternative option here of course is to do nothing but vacuum. Yet is your rug designed to endure the aggressiveness of a vacuum likely designed for stretched-in carpet?
- You can hire a professional, insured, Certified Area Rug Specialist who will take the time to clean it as if it were his own. that option is DRYEX!
Your understanding of the process helps you see the value and care that goes into each rug we clean. Fiber, Construction and Condition Testing & Determination.This is essential so that we can tell you what to expect and what inherent risk may be involved, if any. For instance, we can remove pet urine but often the alkaline urine destabilize the acid dyes so some color problems may result. Dry Soil Removal. (see video) We gently remove dry soil with a special, unique machine designed to remove soil in the weave. Then the rug is vacuumed again. This is so critical and truly separates the professionals from the amateurs. The machine strops spin gently at a moderate pace while the rug is upside down over a metal grid. The amount of dry soil removed from this process would amaze you after you had seen the rug vacuumed, cleaned and dried by another professional. Remember it is easier to remove sand from your bathing suit when it is dry rather than wet, so o this step is crucial. Extraction. In most cases, high flow, low pressure warm water is used to flush old residue and soil bound to the fibers. In some situations, immersion cleaning is the remedy when the rug is saturated with urine or other impurities. Yes, we can remove urine in oriental rugs! Some fibers and dyes are too sensitive for water and require true dry extraction with absorbent compound such as Host. Sisal is a classic example. In fact, Wools of New Zealand approve Host. From hand shampoo to wet extraction, we feature all methods so we can meet the cleaning needs of your rug. Drying. Controlled and supervised drying is critical. This is the phase of the cleaning process where most trouble will develop and is one reason caring for your rug is done off-site. Here is where fringes are monitored for browning and dyes are inspected for stability even though they have been pre-tested. Grooming and Protecting. This is the final step where the nap is set so the rug appears uniformly beautiful. Protection is an option to make maintenance easier for you in the future. Also, ask about moth protection. We can protect your rug with a solvent based soil repellent or protector that extends the rug’s life and ease of cleaning and costs 35% of the rug cleaning. Solvent based protector is superior to water based protector because it penetrates the wool fiber’s lanolin more deeply.
Needlepunch underlayment is the very best you can get and we custom cut it to your exact dimensions typically an inch and a half short of the rug’s dimensions so you have a regal bevel and cannot see the underlayment from the side. This underlayment is useful on both hard and carpeted surfaces – simply reverse it for the need you have for it. Currently underlayment is $1.75 per square foot (psf). We have remnants for you to consider prior to the rug being delivered. There is nothing finer than a clean, protected fine oriental rug with a custom cut underlayment to start your day living in luxury.
From vacuum catches to dry rot there is virtually nothing we cannot accomplish but of course there is no standard pricing for repairs.